Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The skin covering the top of the human head.
2. A portion of this skin with its attached hair, cut from a body especially as a battle trophy or as proof in claiming a bounty.
3. A piece of hide from the skull of certain animals, such as the fox, shown as proof of killing in order to collect a bounty.
v. scalped, scalp·ing, scalps
1. To cut or tear the scalp from.
2. To deprive of top growth or a top layer: land scalped by strip miners.
3. To resell at a price higher than the established value: scalping tickets to the baseball game.
4. To buy and sell (securities or commodities) in order to make small quick profits.
1. To engage in the reselling of something, such as tickets, at a price higher than the established value.
2. To buy and sell securities or commodities for small quick profits.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scalper - someone who buys something and resells it at a price far above the initial cost; "he got theater tickets through a scalper"|