Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to scammony: Convolvulus scammonia
n. pl. scam·mo·nies
a. An eastern Mediterranean plant (Convolvulus scammonia) having large roots that yield a resin formerly used as a cathartic.
b. A Mexican plant (Ipomoea orizabensis) yielding a similar resin.
2. A cathartic preparation obtained from these resins.
[Middle English scamonie, from Old English scammōniam and from Old French scamonie, both from Latin scammōnea, from Greek skammōniā.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -nies
1. (Plants) a twining Asian convolvulus plant, Convolvulus scammonia, having arrow-shaped leaves, white or purple flowers, and tuberous roots
2. (Plants) a resinous juice obtained from the roots of this plant and having purgative properties
3. (Plants) any of various similar medicinal resins or the plants that yield them
[Old English, via Latin from Greek skammōnia, of obscure origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
scam•mo•ny(ˈskæm ə ni)
n., pl. -nies.
1. a twining Asian convolvulus, Convolvulus scammonia.
2. any of various plants having roots yielding a medicinal resin, esp. Ipomoea orizabensis.
3. the resin from any such roots.
[before 1000; Middle English scamonie, Old English < Latin scamōnia < Greek skamōnía]
scam•mo•ni•ate (skæˈmoʊ ni ɪt) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scammony - tropical American morning glory |
morning glory - any of various twining vines having funnel-shaped flowers that close late in the day
|2.||scammony - resin from the root of Convolvulus scammonia|
natural resin - a plant exudate
|3.||scammony - twining plant of Asia Minor having cream-colored to purple flowers and long thick roots yielding a cathartic resin|
convolvulus - any of numerous plants of the genus Convolvulus
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.