scenario(redirected from sceenario)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
sce·nar·i·o(sĭ-nâr′ē-ō′, -när′-, -năr′-)
n. pl. sce·nar·i·os
1. An expected or supposed situation or sequence of events: "It was almost impossible to conceive a scenario in which he would fail to qualify for at least three Olympic events" (Jeremy Schaap).
2. An outline of the plot of a dramatic or literary work.
a. An outline or treatment for a screenplay.
b. A screenplay.
[Italian, scenery, plot outline, from scena, scene, from Latin scaena; see scene.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -narios
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a summary of the plot of a play, etc, including information about its characters, scenes, etc
2. a predicted sequence of events: let's try another scenario, involving the demise of democracy.
[C19: via Italian from Latin scēnārium, from scēna; see scene]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
sce•nar•i•o(sɪˈnɛər iˌoʊ, -ˈnɑr-)
n., pl. -nar•i•os.
1. an outline of the plot of a dramatic work, giving particulars of the scenes, characters, etc.
a. the outline or sometimes the complete script of a motion picture or television program, often with directions for shooting.
3. an imagined sequence of events, esp. any of several detailed plans or possibilities.
[1875–80; < Italian < Latin scēnārium]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
|Noun||1.||scenario - an outline or synopsis of a play (or, by extension, of a literary work)|
|2.||scenario - a setting for a work of art or literature; "the scenario is France during the Reign of Terror"|
|3.||scenario - a postulated sequence of possible events; "planners developed several scenarios in case of an attack"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. situation, sequence of events, chain of events, course of events, series of developments That apocalyptic scenario cannot be ruled out.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
scenario[sɪˈnɑːriəʊ] n → scénario m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
scenario[sɪˈnɑːrɪəʊ] n → scenario
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995