scentless(redirected from scentlessly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
2. A perfume: an expensive French scent.
3. An odor left by the passing of an animal.
4. The trail of a hunted animal or fugitive: The hounds are on the scent.
5. The sense of smell: a bear's keen scent.
6. A hint of something imminent; a suggestion: caught the scent of a reconciliation.
v. scent·ed, scent·ing, scents
1. To perceive or identify by the sense of smell: dogs scenting their prey.
2. To suspect or detect: scented danger.
3. To fill with a pleasant odor; perfume: when blossoms scent the air.
To hunt prey by means of the sense of smell. Used of hounds.
[Middle English sent, from senten, to scent, from Old French sentir, from Latin sentīre, to feel; see sent- in Indo-European roots.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||scentless - lacking the sense of smell|
scented - having the sense of smell; "keen-scented hounds"
|2.||scentless - emitting or holding no odor; "scentless wisps of straw"; "a scentless stretch of rocky ground"|