Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
sched·ule(skĕj′o͞ol, -o͞o-əl, skĕj′əl)
1. A list of times of departures and arrivals; a timetable: a bus schedule; a schedule of guided tours.
2. A plan for performing work or achieving an objective, specifying the order and allotted time for each part: finished the project on schedule.
3. A printed or written list of items in tabular form: a schedule of postal rates.
a. A program of events or appointments expected in a given time: Can you fit me into your schedule Tuesday afternoon?
b. A student's program of classes.
5. A supplemental statement of details appended to a document.
a. A federally regulated list of controlled substances, ranked in classes by potential for abuse.
b. One of the ranks or classes in such a list.
tr.v. sched·uled, sched·ul·ing, sched·ules
1. To enter on a schedule: calculate and schedule each tax deduction on the proper form.
2. To make up a schedule for: I haven't scheduled the coming week yet.
3. To plan or appoint for a certain time or date: scheduled a trip in June; was scheduled to arrive Monday.
4. To list or rank (a controlled substance) in a schedule.
[Middle English sedule, slip of parchment or paper, note, from Old French cedule, from Late Latin schedula, diminutive of scheda, variant of Latin scida, papyrus strip, from Greek skhida, skhedē; perhaps akin to skhizein, to split; see schizo-.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
scheduler(ˈʃɛdjuːlə; US ˈskɛdʒʊələ)
1. (Broadcasting) a person whose job is to allot times for television or radio programmes to be broadcast
2. (Computer Science) computing a computer program designed to aid in scheduling tasks
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scheduler - computer hardware that arranges jobs to be done by the computer in an appropriate order|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.