Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act of scintillating.
2. A spark; a flash.
3. Astronomy Rapid variation in the light of a celestial body caused by turbulence in Earth's atmosphere; a twinkling.
4. Physics A flash of light produced in a phosphor by absorption of an ionizing particle or photon.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the act of scintillating
2. a spark or flash
3. (Astronomy) the twinkling of stars or radio sources, caused by rapid changes in the density of the earth's atmosphere, the interplanetary medium, or the interstellar medium, producing uneven refraction of starlight
4. (General Physics) physics a flash of light produced when a material scintillates
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
scin•til•la•tion(ˌsɪn tlˈeɪ ʃən)
1. the act of scintillating.
2. a spark or flash.
3. the twinkling or tremulous effect of the light of the stars.
4. a flash of light from the ionization of a phosphor struck by an energetic photon or particle.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the process of giving of sparks or flashes, used of wit or humor and of the twinkling of the stars.See also: Processes
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scintillation - (physics) a flash of light that is produced in a phosphor when it absorbs a photon or ionizing particle|
natural philosophy, physics - the science of matter and energy and their interactions; "his favorite subject was physics"
|2.||scintillation - a rapid change in brightness; a brief spark or flash|
|3.||scintillation - a brilliant display of wit|
|4.||scintillation - the quality of shining with a bright reflected light|
brightness - the location of a visual perception along a continuum from black to white
|5.||scintillation - the twinkling of the stars caused when changes in the density of the earth's atmosphere produce uneven refraction of starlight|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.