scribe(redirected from scribe awls)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A public clerk or secretary, especially in ancient times.
2. A professional copyist of manuscripts and documents.
3. A writer or journalist.
4. See scriber.
v. scribed, scrib·ing, scribes
1. To mark with a scriber.
2. To write or inscribe.
To work as a scribe.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin scrība, from Latin, keeper of accounts, secretary, from scrībere, to write; see skrībh- in Indo-European roots.]
1. a person who copies documents, esp a person who made handwritten copies before the invention of printing
2. a clerk or public copyist
3. (Judaism) Old Testament a recognized scholar and teacher of the Jewish Law
4. (Judaism) Judaism a man qualified to write certain documents in accordance with religious requirements
5. (Journalism & Publishing) an author or journalist: used humorously
6. (Tools) another name for scriber
(Tools) to score a line on (a surface) with a pointed instrument, as in metalworking
[(in the senses: writer, etc) C14: from Latin scrība clerk, from scrībere to write; C17 (vb): perhaps from inscribe]
(Biography) Augustin Eugène (oɡystɛ̃ øʒɛn). 1791–1861, French author or coauthor of over 350 vaudevilles, comedies, and libretti for light opera
n., v. scribed, scrib•ing. n.
1. a professional copyist, esp. one who made copies of manuscripts before the invention of printing.
2. a public clerk or writer, esp. one with official status.
3. one of a group of Palestinian scholars and teachers of Jewish law and tradition, active from the 5th century B.C. to the 1st century A.D., who transcribed, edited, and interpreted the Bible.
4. a writer or author, esp. a journalist.v.i.
5. to act as a scribe; write.v.t.
6. to write down.
[1350–1400; < Latin scrība clerk, derivative of scrībere to write]
v. scribed, scrib•ing,
1. to mark or score (wood or the like) with a pointed instrument as a guide to cutting or assembling.n.
[1670–80; perhaps aph. form of inscribe]
Past participle: scribed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Scribe - French playwright (1791-1861)|
|2.||scribe - informal terms for journalists|
journalist - a writer for newspapers and magazines
|3.||scribe - someone employed to make written copies of documents and manuscripts|
employee - a worker who is hired to perform a job
|4.||scribe - a sharp-pointed awl for marking wood or metal to be cut|
awl - a pointed tool for marking surfaces or for punching small holes
|Verb||1.||scribe - score a line on with a pointed instrument, as in metalworking|