scrip(redirected from scrip issues)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a certificate to be exchanged for goods or cash
Not to be confused with:
script – handwriting; the text of a play, TV program, or motion picture
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. A form of money issued by a local government or private organization.
2. A certificate or receipt used to redeem a credit.
[Perhaps alteration of script.]
1. Chiefly South Asian & Australian
a. Stock, as issued by companies.
b. The stock of a particular company.
2. Chiefly British A fractional share of stock issued to existing shareholders.
[Short for subscription receipt, receipt for a portion of a loan.]
A wallet, small satchel, or bag.
[Middle English scrippe.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a written certificate, list, etc
2. a small scrap, esp of paper with writing on it
3. (Banking & Finance) finance
a. a certificate representing a claim to part of a share of stock
b. the shares allocated in a bonus issue
[C18: in some senses, probably from script; otherwise, short for subscription receipt]
archaic a small bag or wallet, as carried by pilgrims
[C14: from Old French escreppe, variant of escarpe scarf1]
(Medicine) informal a medical prescription
[C20: short for prescription]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. paper currency issued for temporary use in emergency situations, as by an occupying power.
2. a certificate representing a fraction of a share of stock.
3. a receipt, list, or other brief piece of writing.
4. a scrap of paper.
5. paper currency in denominations of less than one dollar, formerly issued in the U.S.
[1610–20; perhaps alter. of script]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
scrip- Can be a scrap of paper with writing on it.
See also related terms for scrap.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scrip - a certificate whose value is recognized by the payer and payee; scrip is not currency but may be convertible into currency|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.