scutcheon(redirected from scutcheon-like)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Heraldry) a variant of escutcheon
2. (Zoology) any rounded or shield-shaped structure, esp a scute
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a shield or shieldlike surface on which a coat of arms is depicted.
2. an ornamental or protective plate around a keyhole, door handle, drawer pull, light switch, etc.
3. a panel on the stern of a vessel bearing its name.Idioms:
blot on one's escutcheon, a stain on one's reputation; disgrace.
[1470–80; < Old North French escuchon « Latin scūtum shield]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scutcheon - a flat protective covering (on a door or wall etc) to prevent soiling by dirty fingers|
|2.||scutcheon - a shield; especially one displaying a coat of arms|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.