Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
sea·horseor sea horse (sē′hôrs′)
1. Any of various small marine fishes of the genus Hippocampus, characteristically swimming in an upright position and having a prehensile tail, a head that resembles that of a horse, and a body encased in bony rings.
2. A walrus.
3. Mythology An animal, half fish and half horse, ridden by Neptune and other sea gods.
4. A large white-capped wave.
1. (Animals) any marine teleost fish of the temperate and tropical genus Hippocampus, having a bony-plated body, a prehensile tail, and a horselike head and swimming in an upright position: family Syngnathidae (pipefishes)
2. (Animals) an archaic name for the walrus
3. (Classical Myth & Legend) a fabled sea creature with the tail of a fish and the front parts of a horse
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of various fishes of the genus Hippocampus, of the pipefish family, having a prehensile tail, an elongated snout, and a head bent at right angles to the body.
2. a fabled marine animal with the foreparts of a horse and the hind parts of a fish.
[1425–75; late Middle English sehors walrus; compare German Seepferd]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Any of several small ocean fish having a head resembling that of a horse, a body covered with bony plates, and a tail that can be curled around a supporting object. The male stores eggs in a pouch on its belly until they hatch.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sea horse - either of two large northern marine mammals having ivory tusks and tough hide over thick blubber|
pinnatiped, pinniped, pinniped mammal - aquatic carnivorous mammal having a streamlined body specialized for swimming with limbs modified as flippers
|2.||sea horse - small fish with horse-like heads bent sharply downward and curled tails; swim in upright position|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.