Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
sea·troutor sea trout (sē′trout′)
a. See weakfish.
b. Any of several fishes of the same genus (Cynoscion) as the weakfish.
2. Any of several trouts or similar fishes that live in the sea but migrate to fresh water to spawn.
1. (Animals) a silvery marine variety of the brown trout that migrates to fresh water to spawn. Compare brown trout
2. (Animals) any of several marine sciaenid fishes of the genus Cynoscion, such as C. nebulosus (spotted sea trout) and the weakfish, of North American coastal waters
1. any of various species of trout inhabiting salt water, as the salmon trout, Salmo trutta.
2. any of several fishes of the genus Cynoscion.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sea trout - flesh of marine trout that migrate from salt to fresh water|
brown trout, Salmo trutta, salmon trout - speckled trout of European rivers; introduced in North America
trout - flesh of any of several primarily freshwater game and food fishes
|2.||sea trout - any of several sciaenid fishes of North American coastal waters|
sciaenid, sciaenid fish - widely distributed family of carnivorous percoid fishes having a large air bladder used to produce sound
Cynoscion regalis, weakfish - food and game fish of North American coastal waters with a mouth from which hooks easily tear out
|3.||sea trout - silvery marine variety of brown trout that migrates to fresh water to spawn|