seamy(redirected from seaminess)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
Related to seaminess: seamy side
adj. seam·i·er, seam·i·est
1. Sordid; base: "seamy tales of aberrant sexual practices, messy divorces, drug addiction, mental instability, and suicide attempts" (Barbara Goldsmith).
2. Having, marked with, or showing a seam.
adj, seamier or seamiest
1. showing the least pleasant aspect; sordid
2. (esp of the inner side of a garment) showing many seams
adj. seam•i•er, seam•i•est.
1. sordid; low; disagreeable: the seamy side of life.
2. having or showing a seam, esp. the seam of the inside of a garment.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||seamy - showing a seam|
seamed - having or joined by a seam or seams
|2.||seamy - morally degraded; "a seedy district"; "the seamy side of life"; "sleazy characters hanging around casinos"; "sleazy storefronts with...dirt on the walls"- Seattle Weekly; "the sordid details of his orgies stank under his very nostrils"- James Joyce; "the squalid atmosphere of intrigue and betrayal"|
disreputable - lacking respectability in character or behavior or appearance