Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to second class: Second class citizen
1. The group ranking next below the first, highest, or best group in a system of classification.
2. Travel accommodations ranking next below the highest or first class.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
the class or grade next in value, quality, etc, to the first
1. of the class or grade next to the best in quality, etc
2. shoddy or inferior
3. of or denoting the class of accommodation in a hotel or on a train, etc, lower in quality and price than first class
a. (in Britain) of or relating to mail that is processed more slowly than first-class mail
b. (in the US and Canada) of or relating to mail that consists mainly of newspapers, etc
5. (Education) education See second110
by second-class mail, transport, etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the class of accommodations inferior to first class but superior to third class.
2. the class of mail consisting of newspapers and periodicals not sealed against postal inspection.
1. of a secondary class or quality.
3. deprived of certain civil rights: second-class citizens.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||second class - not the highest rank in a classification|
rank - relative status; "his salary was determined by his rank and seniority"
|2.||second class - not the highest quality in a classification|
|3.||second class - a class of accommodations on a ship or train or plane that are less expensive than first class accommodations|
accommodation - living quarters provided for public convenience; "overnight accommodations are available"
|Adv.||1.||second class - by second class conveyance; "we traveled second class"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
second class→ دَرَجَةٌ ثَانِيَة druhá třída anden klasse zweite Klasse δεύτερη κατηγορία segunda clase toinen luokka deuxième classe drugi razred seconda classe 二等 2류 tweede klas andreklasse druga klasa segunda classe второй класс andra klass ชั้นที่สอง ikinci sınıf hạng hai 二等
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009