thigh(redirected from second thigh)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. The portion of the human leg between the hip and the knee.
b. The corresponding part of the hind leg of a quadruped or other vertebrate animal.
2. The second segment of a bird's leg, containing the tibia and fibula.
3. A cut of meat taken from this part of an animal's body, especially from poultry.
1. (Anatomy) the part of the leg between the hip and the knee in man
2. (Zoology) the corresponding part in other vertebrates and insects
[Old English thēh; related to Old Frisian thiāch, Old High German dioh thigh, Old Norse thjō buttock, Old Slavonic tyku fat]
1. the part of the lower limb in humans between the hip and the knee.
2. the corresponding part of the hind limb of other animals; the femoral region.
[before 900; Middle English thi, thigh(e), the(h), Old English thēh, thīoh, thēoh, c. Old Frisian thiāch, Old High German dioh, Old Norse thjō]
- ham, hamstring - Originally, the part of the leg behind the knee was called the ham, and then the tendon near the ham was the hamstring; by extension, the ham became the thigh and buttock together.
- haunch - The buttock and thigh together.
- hockshin, gambrel - The underside of the thigh is the hockshin or gambrel.
- thigh - Etymologically, the "plump" part of the leg, from an Indo-European base meaning "swell" or "fat."
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thigh - the part of the leg between the hip and the knee|
musculus adductor brevis - the short adductor muscle of the thigh
musculus adductor longus - the long adductor muscle of the thigh
musculus quadriceps femoris, quadriceps, quadriceps femoris, quad - a muscle of the thigh that extends the leg
arteria circumflexa femoris, circumflex artery of the thigh - an artery that supplies the hip joint and thigh muscles
arteria femoralis, femoral artery - the chief artery of the thigh; a continuation of the external iliac artery
femoral vein, vena femoralis - a vein that accompanies the femoral artery in the same sheath; a continuation of the popliteal vein; becomes the external iliac vein
limb - one of the jointed appendages of an animal used for locomotion or grasping: arm; leg; wing; flipper
leg - a human limb; commonly used to refer to a whole limb but technically only the part of the limb between the knee and ankle
lap - the upper side of the thighs of a seated person; "he picked up the little girl and plopped her down in his lap"
anterior crural nerve, femoral nerve, nervus femoralis - one of a pair of nerves that originate from lumbar nerves and supply the muscles and skin of the anterior part of the thigh
femoris, femur, thighbone - the longest and thickest bone of the human skeleton; extends from the pelvis to the knee
femoral biceps, musculus biceps femoris - the biceps muscle of the thigh; it flexes the knee and rotates the leg laterally
|2.||thigh - the upper joint of the leg of a fowl|
helping, serving, portion - an individual quantity of food or drink taken as part of a meal; "the helpings were all small"; "his portion was larger than hers"; "there's enough for two servings each"
dark meat - the flesh of the legs of fowl used as food
thigh[θaɪ] n → coscia
the part of the leg between the knee and hip. bobeen, dy فَخْذ бедро coxa stehno der Oberschenkel lår μηρόςmuslo reis ران reisi cuisseירך जांघ bedro, natkoljenica comb paha læri coscia 太もも 넓적다리 šlaunis augšstilbs; ciska paha dijlårudocoxa coapsă бедро stehno stegno butina lår ต้นขา but 大腿 стегно ران، جانگھ đùi 大腿
thigh→ فَخْذ stehno lår Oberschenkel μηρός muslo reisi cuisse bedro coscia 腿 넓적다리 dij lår udo coxa бедро lår ต้นขา but đùi 大腿
n. muslo, porción de la extremidad inferior entre la cadera y la rodilla;
___ bone → fémur.