Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Second or lower in rank or importance; not primary: concerns that are secondary.
a. Following what is first in time or sequence: secondary fermentation.
b. Of or relating to secondary schools.
a. Derived from what is primary or original: literary criticism viewed as secondary to literature itself.
b. Not immediate or direct: a secondary source of information.
4. Of, relating to, or being the shorter flight feathers projecting along the inner edge of a bird's wing.
5. Electricity Having an induced current that is generated by an inductively coupled primary. Used of a circuit or coil.
a. Relating to, or having a carbon atom that is attached to two other carbon atoms in a molecule.
b. Relating to the replacement of two of several atoms or groups in a compound, such as an amine in which two valences of the functional group are taken by carbon atoms.
7. Geology Produced from another mineral by decay or alteration.
8. Of or relating to a secondary color or colors.
9. Being a degree of health care intermediate between primary care and tertiary care, as that typically offered at a community hospital.
10. Botany Of, relating to, or derived from a lateral meristem, especially a cambium.
n. pl. sec·ond·ar·ies
1. One that acts in an auxiliary, subordinate, or inferior capacity.
2. One of the shorter flight feathers projecting along the inner edge of a bird's wing.
3. Electricity A coil or circuit having an induced current.
a. Astronomy A celestial body that orbits another; a satellite.
b. The dimmer star of a binary star.
5. A secondary color.
6. Football The defensive backfield.
sec′ond·ar′i·ly (-dâr′ə-lē) adv.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adv.||1.||secondarily - of secondary import; "secondarily affected"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
secondarily[ˈsɛkəndərɪli] adv → secondairement
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adv → in zweiter Linie
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007