Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Intelligence-gathering activities conducted secretly by a government agency.
b. A government agency engaged in intelligence-gathering activities.
2. Secret Service A branch of the US Treasury Department concerned especially with protection of the president.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a government agency or department that conducts intelligence or counterintelligence operations
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) such operations
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a US government agency responsible for the protection of the president, the suppression of counterfeiting, and certain other police activities
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the branch of government service that conducts secret investigations, esp. regarding espionage.
2. (caps.) a branch of the U.S. Department of the Treasury chiefly responsible for protecting the president and vice president and their families, and for apprehending counterfeiters.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Secret Service - the United States intelligence agency that protects current and former presidents and vice presidents and their immediate families and protects distinguished foreign visitors; detects and apprehends counterfeiters; suppresses forgery of government securities and documents|
Department of Homeland Security, Homeland Security - the federal department that administers all matters relating to homeland security
United States intelligence agency - an intelligence service in the United States
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
cục tình báo
Secret Servicen (Am) the Secret Service → i servizi segreti
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
secret service→ خِدْمَةٌ سِرِّيَّة tajná služba efterretningstjeneste Geheimdienst μυστική υπηρεσία servicio secreto salainen palvelu services secrets tajna služba servizi segreti 諜報機関 첩보부 geheime dienst sikkerhetstjeneste wywiad serviço secreto секретная служба underrättelsetjänst หน่วยสืบราชการลับ gizli servis cục tình báo 特勤局
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009