Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to sedimentary: sedimentary cycle
sed·i·men·ta·ry(sĕd′ə-mĕn′tə-rē, -mĕn′trē) also sed·i·men·tal (-mĕn′tl)
1. Of, containing, resembling, or derived from sediment.
2. Of or relating to rocks formed by the deposition of sediment.
1. characteristic of, resembling, or containing sediment
sed•i•men•ta•ry(ˌsɛd əˈmɛn tə ri)
1. of or pertaining to sediment.
2. formed by the deposition of sediment, as certain rocks.
Relating to rocks formed when sediment, such as sand or mud, is deposited and becomes tightly compacted. Sandstone, conglomerate, and limestone are examples of sedimentary rocks. See Table at rock.