Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A machine or an implement used for planting seeds.
2. A machine or implement used to remove the seeds from fruit.
3. One that seeds clouds.
1. (Agriculture) a person or thing that seeds
2. a device used to remove seeds, as from fruit, etc
3. (Agriculture) any of various devices for sowing grass seed or grain on the surface of the ground
1. one that seeds.
2. any of various apparatuses for sowing seeds.
3. a device for removing seeds.
A farm implement designed to plant crop seed. There are several distinctly different avenues available for planting the many different sizes and shapes of seeds, but each of them consists of the same two basic operations. The first places the seeds in the desired location. The second properly covers them so that they are both protected from birds and kept moist enough to germinate. For the latter, there is a minimum depth of covering necessary. Depending on the crop and soil, this minimum depth varies but is on the order of an inch. There is also some maximum depth that can be used; otherwise, the fledgling plant will never be able to get to the surface.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||seeder - a person who seeds clouds|
|2.||seeder - a mechanical device that sows grass seed or grain evenly over the ground|
mechanical device - mechanism consisting of a device that works on mechanical principles
|3.||seeder - a kitchen utensil that removes seeds from fruit|
kitchen utensil - a utensil used in preparing food