Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to segue: Segway
intr.v. se·gued, se·gue·ing, se·gues
1. Music To make a transition directly from one section or theme to another.
2. To move smoothly and unhesitatingly from one state, condition, situation, or element to another: "Daylight segued into dusk" (Susan Dworski).
An act or instance of segueing.
[From Italian, there follows, third-person sing. present tense of seguire, to follow, from Vulgar Latin *sequere, from Latin sequī; see sekw- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb (intr) , segues, segueing or segued
1. (Music, other) (often foll by into) to proceed from one section or piece of music to another without a break
2. (Music, other) (imperative) play on without pause: a musical direction
(Music, other) the practice or an instance of playing music in this way
[from Italian: follows, from seguire to follow, from Latin sequī]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
se•gue(ˈseɪ gweɪ, ˈsɛg weɪ)
v. -gued, -gue•ing,
1. to continue at once with the next musical section (used as a musical direction).
2. to perform in the manner of the preceding section (used as a musical direction).
3. to make a smooth transition from one item or topic to another.n.
4. an uninterrupted transition made between one musical section or composition and another.
[1850–55; < Italian: (it) follows, 3rd pers. singular present indic. of seguire « Latin sequī to follow. compare sue]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: segued
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
following without a break
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||segue - the act of changing smoothly from one state or situation to another|
|Verb||1.||segue - proceed without interruption; in music or talk; "He segued into another discourse"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.