Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to self-contained: shrewd, suspicious, insightful, inherently, profound, prerequisite, extraordinary
1. Constituting a complete and independent unit in and of itself: A self-contained dictionary defines every word contained within it.
a. Not dependent on others; self-sufficient: a self-contained settlement in the Arctic.
b. Keeping to oneself; reserved.
1. containing within itself all parts necessary for completeness
2. (of a flat) having its own kitchen, bathroom, and lavatory not shared by others and usually having its own entrance
3. able or tending to keep one's feelings, thoughts, etc, to oneself; reserved
4. able to control one's feelings or emotions in the presence of others
1. containing in oneself or itself all that is necessary; independent.
2. reserved or uncommunicative.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||self-contained - constituting a complete and independent unit in and of itself; "the university is like a self-contained city with shops and all amenities"|
complete - having every necessary or normal part or component or step; "a complete meal"; "a complete wardrobe"; "a complete set of the Britannica"; "a complete set of china"; "a complete defeat"; "a complete accounting"
|2.||self-contained - in full control of your faculties; "the witness remained collected throughout the cross-examination"; "perfectly poised and sure of himself"; "more self-contained and more dependable than many of the early frontiersmen"; "strong and self-possessed in the face of trouble"|
composed - serenely self-possessed and free from agitation especially in times of stress; "the performer seemed completely composed as she stepped onto the stage"; "I felt calm and more composed than I had in a long time"