Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to self-determination: Self-determination theory
1. Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.
2. Freedom of the people of a given area to determine their own political status; independence.
self′-de·ter′mined (-tûr′mĭnd) adj.
self′-de·ter′min·ing (-tûr′mĭ-nĭng) adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the power or ability to make a decision for oneself without influence from outside
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the right of a nation or people to determine its own form of government without influence from outside
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. freedom to live as one chooses, or to act or decide without consulting others.
2. freedom of a people to determine the way in which they shall be governed and whether or not they shall be self-governed.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||self-determination - government of a political unit by its own people|
sovereignty - government free from external control
local option - freedom of a local government to determine by popular vote the applicability of a controversial law in their jurisdiction
home rule - self-government in local matters by a city or county that is part of a national government
|2.||self-determination - determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun independence, freedom, autonomy, liberty, separation, sovereignty, self-government, self-rule, self-sufficiency, self-reliance, home rule, autarchy The principle of self-determination is sacred to us.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
self-determination[ˌselfdɪˌtɜːmɪˈneɪʃən] N → autodeterminación f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
self-determination[ˌsɛlfdɪˌtɜːmɪˈneɪʃ/ən] n → autodeterminazione f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995