Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A course of study for a small group of students in a college or graduate school, often entailing research under the guidance of a professor.
b. The group of students in such a course.
c. A scheduled meeting of such a group.
2. A meeting for an exchange of ideas; a conference.
[German, from Latin sēminārium, seed plot; see seminary.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Education) a small group of students meeting regularly under the guidance of a tutor, professor, etc, to exchange information, discuss theories, etc
2. (Education) one such meeting or the place in which it is held
3. (Education) a higher course for postgraduates
4. any group or meeting for holding discussions or exchanging information
[C19: via German from Latin sēminārium seminary]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a group of advanced students undertaking original research under the guidance of a faculty member and meeting regularly.
2. a course or subject of study for advanced graduate students.
3. any meeting for exchanging information and holding discussions.
[1885–90, Amer.; < German < Latin sēminārium seminary]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A group of college or university students who are involved in advanced study or research under the guidance of a professor or tutor and who meet regularly for discussions or exchange of findings.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||seminar - any meeting for an exchange of ideas|
conference - a prearranged meeting for consultation or exchange of information or discussion (especially one with a formal agenda)
|2.||seminar - a course offered for a small group of advanced students|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. meeting, conference, discussion, summit, convention, forum, symposium, colloquy a series of half-day seminars
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
seminar[ˈsɛmɪnɑːr] n → séminaire m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Seminar nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
seminar[ˈsɛmɪnɑːʳ] n (Univ) → seminario
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995