Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A course of study for a small group of students in a college or graduate school, often entailing research under the guidance of a professor.
b. The group of students in such a course.
c. A scheduled meeting of such a group.
2. A meeting for an exchange of ideas; a conference.
[German, from Latin sēminārium, seed plot; see seminary.]
1. (Education) a small group of students meeting regularly under the guidance of a tutor, professor, etc, to exchange information, discuss theories, etc
2. (Education) one such meeting or the place in which it is held
3. (Education) a higher course for postgraduates
4. any group or meeting for holding discussions or exchanging information
[C19: via German from Latin sēminārium seminary]
1. a group of advanced students undertaking original research under the guidance of a faculty member and meeting regularly.
2. a course or subject of study for advanced graduate students.
3. any meeting for exchanging information and holding discussions.
[1885–90, Amer.; < German < Latin sēminārium seminary]
A group of college or university students who are involved in advanced study or research under the guidance of a professor or tutor and who meet regularly for discussions or exchange of findings.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||seminar - any meeting for an exchange of ideas|
conference - a prearranged meeting for consultation or exchange of information or discussion (especially one with a formal agenda)
|2.||seminar - a course offered for a small group of advanced students|