consonant(redirected from semivowel consonant)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
In addition to vowels, the English alphabet is also made up of consonants. While vowels represent open-mouthed speech sounds, consonants represent sounds that are made when part or all of the vocal tract is closed. Because they require a specific position of the lips, cheeks, tongue, etc., there is generally little to no difference in how consonants are pronounced between different speakers of English. (The pronunciation of vowels, on the other hand, can differ drastically depending on dialect).
There are 21 consonants: B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y, and Z.
1. Being in agreement or accord: remarks consonant with our own beliefs.
2. Corresponding or alike in sound, as words or syllables.
3. Harmonious in sound or tone.
1. A speech sound produced by a partial or complete obstruction of the air stream by any of various constrictions of the speech organs, such as (p), (f), (r), (w), and (h).
2. A letter or character representing such a speech sound.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin cōnsonāns, cōnsonant-, present participle of cōnsonāre, to agree : com-, com- + sonāre, to sound; see swen- in Indo-European roots.]
(Grammar) a speech sound or letter of the alphabet other than a vowel; a stop, fricative, or continuant
1. (postpositive; foll by with or to) consistent; in agreement
2. harmonious in tone or sound
3. (Music, other) music characterized by the presence of a consonance
4. (Grammar) being or relating to a consonant
[C14: from Latin consonāns, from consonāre to sound at the same time, be in harmony, from sonāre to sound]
con•so•nant(ˈkɒn sə nənt)
1. a speech sound produced by occluding (p, b, t, d, k, g), diverting (m, n, ng), or obstructing (f, v, s, z, etc.) the flow of air from the lungs (opposed to vowel).
2. a letter or other symbol representing or usu. representing a consonant sound.adj.
3. in accord: behavior consonant with his character.
4. corresponding in sound, as words.
5. pertaining to or being a musical consonance.
[1350–1400; Middle English (< Anglo-French) < Latin consonant-, s. of consonāns, present participle of consonāre to sound with or together. See con-, sonant]
A speech sound or letter representing one that is not a vowel and is pronounced by constriction, for example, “t.”
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||consonant - a speech sound that is not a vowel|
speech sound, phone, sound - (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
alveolar, alveolar consonant, dental, dental consonant - a consonant articulated with the tip of the tongue near the gum ridge
obstruent - a consonant that is produced with a partial or complete blockage of the airflow from the lungs through the nose or mouth
aspirate - a consonant pronounced with aspiration
lingual - a consonant that is produced with the tongue and other speech organs
liquid - a frictionless continuant that is not a nasal consonant (especially `l' and `r')
geminate - a doubled or long consonant; "the `n' in `thinness' is a geminate"
velar, velar consonant - a consonant produced with the back of the tongue touching or near the soft palate
guttural, guttural consonant, pharyngeal, pharyngeal consonant - a consonant articulated in the back of the mouth or throat
|2.||consonant - a letter of the alphabet standing for a spoken consonant|
|Adj.||1.||consonant - involving or characterized by harmony|
harmonious - musically pleasing
|2.||consonant - in keeping; "salaries agreeable with current trends"; "plans conformable with your wishes"; "expressed views concordant with his background"|
consistent - (sometimes followed by `with') in agreement or consistent or reliable; "testimony consistent with the known facts"; "I have decided that the course of conduct which I am following is consistent with my sense of responsibility as president in time of war"- FDR
حَرْف سَاكِنحَرْف ساكِن، حَرْف صامِت
consonant[ˈkɒnsənənt] n → consonante f
any letter of the alphabet except a, e, i, o, u which are vowels. medeklinker, konsonant حَرْف ساكِن، حَرْف صامِت съгласна consoante souhláska der Konsonant konsonant σύμφωνοconsonante konsonant حرف بی صدا konsonantti consonneעצור, עיצור व्यंजन suglasnik mássalhangzó konsonan samhljóði consonante 子音 자음 priebalsė, priebalsis līdzskanis konsonan medeklinkerkonsonantspółgłoska موافق، چپ يابې ږغه تورى consoante consoană согласная буква spoluhláska soglasnik suglasnik konsonant พยัญชนะ ünsüz 子音字母 приголосна літера; такий, що позначає приголосний звук حرف صحيح phụ âm 辅音字母