Also found in: Idioms.
1. A demonstration of affection and good wishes for the beginning of a new undertaking.
2. A farewell: gave our guests a hearty sendoff at the airport.
1. a demonstration of good wishes to a person about to set off on a journey, new career, etc
2. a start, esp an auspicious one, to a venture
vb (tr, adverb)
3. to cause to depart; despatch
4. (General Sporting Terms) sport (of the referee) to dismiss (a player) from the field of play for some offence
5. informal to give a sendoff to