septet(redirected from septets)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
sep·tetalso sep·tette (sĕp-tĕt′)
a. A composition for seven voices or seven instruments.
b. A group of seven singers or seven instrumentalists.
2. A group of seven.
1. (Music, other) music a group of seven singers or instrumentalists or a piece of music composed for such a group
2. a group of seven people or things
[C19: from German, from Latin septem seven]
1. any group of seven persons or things.
2. a company of seven singers or musicians.
3. a musical composition for a septet.
[1830–40; < German; see septi-, -et]
Septet, Septettea set of seven, 1886; seven infants at a birth.
Examples: septette of watercolours, 1907; a septette (a field of seven horses in racing), 1886.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||septet - the cardinal number that is the sum of six and one|
|2.||septet - seven performers or singers who perform together|
|3.||septet - a set of seven similar things considered as a unit|
set - a group of things of the same kind that belong together and are so used; "a set of books"; "a set of golf clubs"; "a set of teeth"
|4.||septet - seven people considered as a unit|
|5.||septet - a musical composition written for seven performers|