Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various shrubs or trees of the genus Amelanchier of the rose family, chiefly found in North America, having clusters of white flowers and edible red to dark purple fruit. Also called service tree, shadblow, shadbush.
2. The berrylike fruit of this tree. In both senses also called juneberry, shadberry.
n, pl -riesAlso called (for senses 1, 2): shadberry or Juneberry
1. (Plants) Also called: shadbush or shadblow any of various North American rosaceous trees or shrubs of the genus Amelanchier, esp A. canadensis, which has white flowers and edible purplish berries
2. (Plants) the fruit of any of these plants
3. (Plants) the fruit of the service tree
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||serviceberry - any of various North American trees or shrubs having showy white flowers and edible blue-black or purplish fruit|
alderleaf Juneberry, alder-leaved serviceberry, Amelanchier alnifolia - shrub or small tree of northwestern North America having fragrant creamy white flowers and small waxy purple-red fruits
Amelanchier bartramiana, Bartram Juneberry - open-growing shrub of eastern North America having pure white flowers and small waxy almost black fruits
|2.||serviceberry - edible purple or red berries|
berry - any of numerous small and pulpy edible fruits; used as desserts or in making jams and jellies and preserves