sewn(redirected from sewnly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
A past participle of sew.
(Knitting & Sewing) a past participle of sew
v. sewed, sewn sewed, sew•ing. v.t.
1. to join or attach by stitches.
2. to make, repair, etc., by such means: She sewed her own wedding gown.
3. to enclose or secure with stitches: to sew flour in a bag.
4. to close (a hole, wound, etc.) by means of stitches (usu. fol. by up).v.i.
5. to work with a needle and thread or with a sewing machine.
6. sew up, Informal. to get, have, accomplish, or control successfully or completely: to sew up a deal; to sew up votes at a convention.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English siw(i)an, c. Old Frisian siā, Old High German siuwan, Old Norse sȳja, Gothic siujan, Latin suere (see suture); akin to seam]
sew′a•ble, adj., n.