shafting(redirected from shaftings)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
1. A system of shafts, as in a mechanical device, for transmitting motion or power.
2. Material from which shafts are made.
3. Slang An instance of harsh or unfair treatment: got a shafting when they bought that house.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) an assembly of rotating shafts for transmitting power
2. the stock from which shafts are made
3. (Architecture) architect a set of shafts
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014