Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to shag: SHEG
?Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers.
1. A tangle or mass, especially of rough matted hair.
a. A coarse long nap, as on a woolen cloth.
b. Cloth having such a nap.
3. A rug with a thick rough pile.
4. Coarse shredded tobacco.
tr.v. shagged, shag·ging, shags
To make shaggy; roughen.
[Middle English *shagge, from Old English sceacga, matted hair.]
A dance step of the 1930s consisting of a hop on each foot in turn.
intr.v. shagged, shag·ging, shags
To perform or execute this dance.
Any of several cormorants, especially Phalacrocorax aristotelis of Europe and North Africa.
[Perhaps from its shaggy crest.]
tr.v. shagged, shag·ging, shags
1. To chase and bring back; fetch.
2. Baseball To chase and catch (fly balls) in practice.
[Perhaps from obsolete shag, to shake.]
v. shagged, shag·ging, shags Chiefly British Vulgar Slang
To engage in sexual intercourse with.
To engage in sexual intercourse.
[Perhaps from obsolete shag, to shake, wiggle.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a matted tangle, esp of hair, wool, etc
2. (Textiles) a napped fabric, usually a rough wool
3. (Plants) shredded coarse tobacco
vb, shags, shagging or shagged
(tr) to make shaggy
[Old English sceacga; related to sceaga shaw1, Old Norse skegg beard, skagi tip, skōgr forest]
1. (Animals) a cormorant, esp the green cormorant (Phalacrocorax aristotelis)
2. like a shag on a rock slang Austral abandoned and alone
[C16: special use of shag1, with reference to its crest]
vb, shags, shagging or shagged
1. to have sexual intercourse with (a person)
2. (often foll by: out; usually passive) to exhaust; tire
an act of sexual intercourse
[C20: of unknown origin]
Usage: Though still likely to cause offence to many older or more conservative people, this word has lost a lot of its shock value of late. It seems to have a jocular, relaxed connotation, which most of the other words in this field do not. No doubt its acceptability has been accelerated by its use in the title of an Austin Powers film. Interestingly, though advertisements for the film caused a large number of complaints to the British Advertising Standards Authority, they were not upheld
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. shagged, shag•ging. n.
1. rough, matted hair, wool, or the like.
2. a mass of this.
3. a hairstyle in which the hair is cut in layers downward from the crown.
4. a long, thick pile or nap.
5. a rug or carpet with a thick, shaggy pile.
6. a coarse tobacco cut into fine shreds.v.t., v.i.
7. to make or become rough or shaggy.
[before 1050; Old English sceacga (wooly) hair; c. Old Norse skegg beard]
any of several small cormorants, esp. Phalacrocoraxaristotelis, of European coasts.
[1560–70; perhaps identical with shag1]
v.t. shagged, shag•ging.
1. to chase or follow after; pursue.
2. to go after and bring back; fetch.
3. to retrieve and throw back (fly balls) in batting practice.
[1910–15, Amer.; orig. uncertain]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: shagged
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shag - a strong coarse tobacco that has been shredded|
|2.||shag - a matted tangle of hair or fiber; "the dog's woolly shag"|
tangle - a twisted and tangled mass that is highly interwoven; "they carved their way through the tangle of vines"
|3.||shag - a fabric with long coarse nap; "he bought a shag rug"|
cloth, fabric, textile, material - artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers; "the fabric in the curtains was light and semitransparent"; "woven cloth originated in Mesopotamia around 5000 BC"; "she measured off enough material for a dress"
shag rug - a rug with long pile
|4.||shag - slang for sexual intercourse |
fuck, fucking, nookie, nooky, piece of ass, piece of tail, roll in the hay, screwing, shtup, ass, screw
carnal knowledge, coition, coitus, sex act, sexual congress, sexual intercourse, sexual relation, copulation, intercourse, relation, congress - the act of sexual procreation between a man and a woman; the man's penis is inserted into the woman's vagina and excited until orgasm and ejaculation occur
|5.||shag - a lively dance step consisting of hopping on each foot in turn|
social dancing - dancing as part of a social occasion
|Verb||1.||shag - dance the shag|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
shag(Brit. taboo slang)
1. have sex with, sleep with, fuck (taboo slang), screw (taboo slang), have (taboo slang), lay (taboo slang), roger (taboo slang), bang (taboo slang), shaft (taboo slang), poke (taboo slang), lie with (archaic), hump (taboo slang), go to bed with, have sexual intercourse with, get it on with (informal), do the business with, fornicate with (archaic), have your way with He'd love to shag her. Moments later, they were shagging in the bathroom.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
shag1 [ʃæg] N → tabaco m picado
shag2 [ʃæg] N (Orn) → cormorán m moñudo
shag3 [ʃæg] (Brit)
B. VT → joder
C. VI → joder
shag4 [ʃæg] N (= carpet) → tripe m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
vt (British) (= have sex with) → baiser avec
vi (British) (= have sex) → baiser
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (Orn) → Krähenscharbe f
shag3 (Brit sl)
n (= intercourse, partner) → Nummer f (inf); to have a shag → eine Nummer machen (inf); shag buddy → Fickpartner(in) m(f) (vulg)
vi → bumsen (inf)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
3. vt (Brit) (fam!) → scopare (fam!)
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995