Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. (Plants) a North American hickory tree, Carya ovata, having loose rough bark and edible nuts
2. (Forestry) the wood of this tree, used for tool handles, fuel, etc
3. (Plants) the light-coloured hard-shelled nut of this tree
[C18: so called because of the texture of its bark]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a hickory, Caryaovata, having a coarse, shaggy bark.
2. the rounded, ribbed, edible nut of this tree.Also called shag′bark hick`ory (for defs. 1, 2).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shagbark - North American hickory having loose grey shaggy bark and edible nuts|
hickory nut - small hard-shelled nut of North American hickory trees especially the shagbark hickories
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.