Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to shagreen: shagreen skin
1. The rough hide of a shark or ray with embedded denticles, used as an abrasive and as leather.
2. An untanned leather with a granular surface that is often dyed green.
[French chagrin, leather made from the croup of a horse, donkey, or mule, alteration (probably influenced by French chagrin, chagrin, because such leather is rough) of Middle French sagrin, from Turkish sağrı, croup, leather made from a horse's croup, from Old Turkic; perhaps akin to Mongolian saγu-, to sit.]
1. (Tanning) the rough skin of certain sharks and rays, used as an abrasive
2. (Tanning) a rough grainy leather made from certain animal hides
[C17: from French chagrin, from Turkish çagri rump; also associated through folk etymology with shag1, green]
1. an untanned leather with a granular surface, prepared from the hide of a horse, shark, seal, etc.
2. the rough skin of certain sharks, used as an abrasive.adj.
3. Also, sha•greened′. made of or resembling shagreen.
[1605–15; < French chagrin, alter. of sagrin < Turkish sağrI rump, crupper]