Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to shaker: cocktail shaker
a. One that shakes: a shaker of long-held beliefs and traditions.
b. One that impels, encourages, or supervises action.
a. A container used for shaking: salt and pepper shakers.
b. A container used to mix or blend by shaking: a cocktail shaker.
3. Shaker A member of a Christian sect originating in England in 1747, practicing communal living and observing celibacy.
adj. also Shaker
Relating to or constituting a style produced by Shakers that is distinctively simple, unornamented, functional, and finely crafted: Shaker furniture.
1. a person or thing that shakes
2. a container, often having a perforated top, from which something, such as a condiment, is shaken
3. a container in which the ingredients of alcoholic drinks are shaken together
1. a container with a perforated top from which a seasoning, condiment, sugar, flour, or the like is shaken onto food.
2. any of various containers for shaking beverages to mix the ingredients.
3. a dredger or caster.
4. (cap.) a member of a religious sect originating in England in the middle of the 18th century and now extant only in the U.S., practicing celibacy, common ownership of property, and a strict and simple way of life.
5. a person or thing that shakes.adj.
6. (cap.) of or pertaining to a style of furniture produced by Shakers in the U.S., characterized by simplicity of form, lack of ornamentation, and functionality.
7. (sometimes cap.) of or designating a knitted fabric formed of parallel rows of ribbing.
Shaker- The Shakers got their name from the shaking and convulsive movements they made during worship.
See also related terms for shaking.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shaker - a person who wields power and influence; "a shaker of traditional beliefs"; "movers and shakers in the business world"|
|2.||Shaker - a member of Christian group practicing celibacy and communal living and common possession of property and separation from the world|
Shakers, United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing - a celibate and communistic Christian sect in the United States
Christian - a religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination
|3.||shaker - a container in which something can be shaken|
cocktail shaker - a shaker for mixing cocktails
container - any object that can be used to hold things (especially a large metal boxlike object of standardized dimensions that can be loaded from one form of transport to another)
shaker[ˈʃeɪkəʳ] N (= cocktail shaker) → coctelera f
n (= cocktail shaker) → Mixbecher m, → Shaker m; (= flour/salt shaker) → Mehl-/Salzstreuer m