shammy(redirected from shammy leathers)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Variant of chamois..
n, pl -mies
(Tanning) informal another word for chamois3 Also called: shammy leather
[C18: variant, influenced by the pronunciation, of chamois]
cham•ois(ˈʃæm i; for 1 also ʃæmˈwɑ)
n., pl. cham•ois, cham•oix (ˈʃæm iz; for 1 also ʃæmˈwɑ) n.
1. an agile goat antelope, Rupicapra rupicapra, of high mountains of Europe.
2. a soft, pliable leather from any of various skins dressed with oil.
3. a piece of this leather.
4. a cotton cloth simulating this leather.v.t.
5. to dress (a pelt) to produce chamois.
6. to rub or buff with a chamois.Also, chammy , shammy (for defs. 2–4, 6, 7).
[1525–35; < Middle French < Late Latin camox]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shammy - a soft suede leather formerly from the skin of the chamois antelope but now from sheepskin|
leather - an animal skin made smooth and flexible by removing the hair and then tanning
wash leather - piece of chamois used for cleaning and polishing