shard(redirected from shards)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to shards: WhatsApp
shard(shärd) also sherd (shûrd)
1. A broken piece or fragment, as of pottery or glass.
2. Zoology A tough scale or covering, such as the elytron of a beetle.
1. a broken piece or fragment of a brittle substance, esp of pottery
2. (Zoology) zoology a tough sheath, scale, or shell, esp the elytra of a beetle
[Old English sceard; related to Old Norse skarth notch, Middle High German scharte notch]
(Placename) a tall building, resembling a shard of glass, in London, at London Bridge. Designed by Renzo Piano and completed in 2012, it is for mixed commercial, residential, and leisure use and is the tallest habitable building in the UK. Height: 310 m (1,016 ft)
1. a fragment, esp. of broken earthenware.
a. a scale.
b. a shell, as of an egg or snail.
c. the hardened forewing of a beetle; elytron.
[before 1000; Middle English; Old English sceard, c. Old Frisian skerd, Middle High German scharte, Old Norse skarth; akin to shear]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shard - a broken piece of a brittle artifact|
piece - a separate part of a whole; "an important piece of the evidence"
potsherd - a shard of pottery