Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to sharing: Sharing economy
1. A part or portion belonging to, distributed to, contributed by, or owed by a person or group: The pirates argued over their shares of the treasure.
2. An equitable portion: do one's share of the work.
a. One of the equal parts into which the capital stock of a company is divided: bought 200 shares of the company's stock.
b. A unit of ownership in a mutual fund or other investment vehicle: bought two shares in a mutual fund.
c. shares Chiefly British Stocks: European shares jumped two percent. The fund invests half the money in bonds and half in shares.
v. shared, shar·ing, shares
a. To accord a share in (something) to another or others: shared her chocolate bar with a friend.
b. To divide and parcel out in shares; apportion: shared the estate among his heirs.
a. To participate in, use, enjoy, or experience jointly or in turns: share a responsibility; share a room.
b. To hold or have jointly with another or others: She shares my view about the election.
3. To relate (a secret or experience, for example) to another or others.
4. Computers To make (a digital file) accessible to other users on a network, as for copying and downloading.
1. To have a share or part: shared in the profits.
2. To allow someone to use or enjoy something that one possesses: Being in daycare taught the child to share.
3. To use or enjoy something jointly or in turns: There is only one computer, so we will have to share.
4. To talk about personal experiences or feelings with others.
To be concerned or partake equally or jointly, as in a business venture.
share′a·ble, shar′a·ble adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sharing - using or enjoying something jointly with others|
interdependence, interdependency, mutuality - a reciprocal relation between interdependent entities (objects or individuals or groups)
time sharing - (computer science) the use of a central computer by many users simultaneously
|2.||sharing - having in common; "the sharing of electrons creates molecules"|
|3.||sharing - sharing thoughts and feelings|
|4.||sharing - a distribution in shares|
distribution - the act of distributing or spreading or apportioning
|Adj.||1.||sharing - unselfishly willing to share with others; "a warm and sharing friend"|
unselfish - disregarding your own advantages and welfare over those of others