Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
she·rifalso sha·rif (shə-rēf′)
1. A descendant of the prophet Muhammad through his daughter Fatima.
2. The chief magistrate of Mecca in Ottoman times.
3. A Moroccan prince or ruler.
n, pl ashraf
1. (Islam) a descendant of Mohammed through his daughter Fatima
2. (Islam) (formerly) the governor of Mecca
3. (Islam) an honorific title accorded to any Muslim ruler
[C16: from Arabic sharīf noble]
1. a governor of Mecca descended from Muhammad.
2. an Arab chief, prince, or ruler.
[1590–1600; < Arabic sharīf exalted (person)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.