Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A public officer in the United States with responsibility for certain law enforcement and administrative legal duties, such as making arrests and serving processes, usually for a particular county.
2. A public officer in various other countries performing certain law enforcement, judicial, or ceremonial functions.
[Middle English, the representative of royal authority in a shire, from Old English scīrgerēfa : scīr, shire + gerēfa, reeve.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Law) (in the US) the chief law-enforcement officer in a county: popularly elected, except in Rhode Island
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in England and Wales) the chief executive officer of the Crown in a county, having chiefly ceremonial duties.
3. (Professions) (in Scotland) a judge in any of the sheriff courts
4. (Law) (in Scotland) a judge in any of the sheriff courts
5. (Professions) (in Australia) an administrative officer of the Supreme Court, who enforces judgments and the execution of writs, empanels juries, etc
6. (Law) (in Australia) an administrative officer of the Supreme Court, who enforces judgments and the execution of writs, empanels juries, etc
7. (Professions) (in New Zealand) an officer of the High Court
8. (Law) (in New Zealand) an officer of the High Court
[Old English scīrgerēfa, from scīr shire1 + gerēfa reeve1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the law-enforcement officer of a county or other civil subdivision of a state.
2. (formerly) an important civil officer in an English shire.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sheriff - the principal law-enforcement officer in a county|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
sheriff[ˈʃɛrɪf] n → shérif m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
sheriff[ˈʃɛrɪf] n → sceriffo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
in the United States, the chief law officer of a county, concerned with maintaining peace and order. sjerif الشَّريف шериф xerife šerif der Sheriff sherif σερίφηςsheriff, alguacil ðerif كلانتر seriffi shérif שֶׁרִיף शेरिफ, सुमान्य, अधिकारी šerif seriff sheriff lögreglustjóri sceriffo 保安官 보안관 šerifas šerifs syerif sheriffsheriff szeryf ولسوال، حاكم xerife şerif шериф šerif šerif šerif sheriff นายอำเภอ şerif (美國)警長 шериф کاؤنٹی کا سربراہ شاہی افسر quận trưởng 县级行政司法长官，郡治安官，州长
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.