Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Past tense and past participle of shy1.
Past tense and past participle of shy2.
adj. shy•er shi•er, shy•est shi•est, adj.
1. bashful; retiring.
2. easily frightened away; timid.
3. distrustful; wary: shy of publicity.
4. deficient: shy of funds.
5. short of a full amount or number: a few dollars shy of our goal.v.i.
6. (esp. of a horse) to start back or aside in alarm.
7. to draw back; recoil.n.
8. a sudden start aside, as in alarm.
[before 1000; early Middle English scheowe, Old English scēoh, c. Middle High German schiech; akin to Dutch schuw, German scheu; compare eschew]
v. shied, shy•ing, v.t., v.i.
1. to throw with a swift, sudden movement.n.
2. a quick, sudden throw.
3. a gibe or sneer.
[1780–90; orig. uncertain]