Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. The sleeve of a shirt.
2. shirtsleeves The state of wearing no coat, jacket, or other outer garment over one's shirt: dined in shirtsleeves; balmy weather that had them down to their shirtsleeves.
1. also shirt·sleeved (-slēvd′) Dressed without a coat: shirtsleeve spectators; a shirtsleeved orchestra.
2. also shirtsleeves Calling for the removal of a coat or jacket; not requiring a coat or jacket for comfort: shirtsleeve weather; a shirtsleeves picnic.
3. also shirtsleeves Marked by informality or straightforwardness: shirtsleeve politics; a shirtsleeves conference.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) the sleeve of a shirt
2. in one's shirtsleeves not wearing a jacket