Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A durable covering for the human foot, made of leather or similar material with a rigid sole and heel, usually extending no higher than the ankle.
2. A horseshoe.
3. A part or device that is located at the base of something or that functions as a protective covering, as:
a. A strip of metal fitted onto the bottom of a sled runner.
b. The base for the supports of the superstructure of a bridge.
c. The ferrule on the end of a cane.
d. The casing of a pneumatic tire.
4. A device that retards or stops the motion of an object, as the part of a brake that presses against the wheel or drum.
5. The sliding contact plate on an electric train or streetcar that conducts electricity from the third rail.
6. A chute, as for conveying grain from a hopper.
7. Games A case from which playing cards are dealt one at a time.
8. shoes Informal
a. Position; status: You would understand my decision if you put yourself in my shoes.
b. Plight: I wouldn't want to be in her shoes.
tr.v. shod (shŏd), shod or shod·den (shŏd′n), shoe·ing, shoesIdioms:
1. To furnish or fit with a shoe or shoes.
2. To cover with a wooden or metal guard to protect against wear.
the shoe is on the other foot Informal
The circumstances have been reversed; an unequal relationship has been inverted.
wait for the other shoe to drop Slang
To defer action or decision until another matter is finished or resolved.
[Middle English, from Old English scōh.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- pumps - The shoes are so named for the sound they make.
- revamp - Originally referred to shoes—vamp being the covering of the instep.
- Brannock device - The device used to measure feet for shoes.
- be down on your uppers - To be down on your uppers (referring to shoes) is to be scuffing along, in poor circumstances.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shoes - a particular situation; "If you were in my place what would you do?"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.