Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Breathing with quick labored breaths.
2. Likely to have difficulty in breathing, especially from exertion.
3. Brief and succinct.
4. Choppy; disconnected.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. tending to run out of breath, esp after exertion
2. (of speech or writing) terse or abrupt
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. short of breath.
2. brief or concise; to the point, as in speech or writing.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||short-winded - breathing laboriously or convulsively|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.