shortcake(redirected from shortcakes)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A dessert consisting of a biscuit or cake served with fruit and topped with cream.
2. The biscuit or cake made for this dessert.
1. (Cookery) a kind of shortbread made from a rich biscuit dough
2. (Cookery) a dessert made of layers of shortcake filled with fruit and cream
[C16: from short (in the sense: crumbly)]
1. a short, sometimes sweetened biscuit, filled or topped with fruit and whipped cream.
2. a cake made with a large proportion of shortening.
n (British) (= shortbread) → sablé m
(mainly US) (= dessert) strawberry shortcake → tarte f sablée aux fraisesshort-change [ˌʃɔːrtˈtʃeɪndʒ] vt
(= treat unfairly) → être injuste enversshort-circuit [ˌʃɔːrtˈsɜːrkɪt]
n → court-circuit m
(ELECTRICITY, ELECTRONICS) → court-circuiter
(fig) (= bypass) [+ process, system] → court-circuiter