Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An athletic event in which contestants attempt to put a heavy metal ball as far as possible.
2. The standard ball used in this competition.
shot′-put′ter (-po͝ot′ər) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Athletics (Track & Field)) an athletic event in which contestants hurl or put a heavy metal ball or shot as far as possible
2. (Athletics (Track & Field)) a single put of the shot
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a field event in which a heavy ball or shot is thrown or put for distance.
2. a single throw or put of the shot.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shot put - an athletic competition in which a heavy metal ball is hurled as far as possible|
field event - a competition that takes place on a field rather than on a running track
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.