shot put(redirected from shot-putting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An athletic event in which contestants attempt to put a heavy metal ball as far as possible.
2. The standard ball used in this competition.
shot′-put′ter (-po͝ot′ər) n.
1. (Athletics (Track & Field)) an athletic event in which contestants hurl or put a heavy metal ball or shot as far as possible
2. (Athletics (Track & Field)) a single put of the shot
1. a field event in which a heavy ball or shot is thrown or put for distance.
2. a single throw or put of the shot.