Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to shunter: switch engine
1. The act or process of turning aside or moving to an alternate course.
2. A railroad switch.
3. Electricity A low-resistance connection between two points in an electric circuit that forms an alternative path for a portion of the current. Also called bypass.
4. Medicine A passage between two natural body channels, such as blood vessels, especially one created surgically to divert or permit flow from one pathway or region to another; a bypass.
v. shunt·ed, shunt·ing, shunts
1. To turn or move aside or onto another course: shunting traffic around an accident.
2. To evade by putting aside or ignoring: urgent problems that society can no longer shunt aside.
3. To switch (a train or car) from one track to another.
4. Electricity To provide or divert (current) by means of a shunt.
5. Medicine To divert or permit flow of (a body fluid) from one pathway or region to another by surgical means.
1. To move or turn aside.
2. Electricity To become diverted by means of a shunt. Used of a circuit.
[Middle English shunten, to flinch.]
(Railways) a small railway locomotive used for manoeuvring coaches rather than for making journeys