shut-in(redirected from shut-inly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
A person confined indoors by illness or disability.
1. Confined to a home or hospital, as by illness.
2. Disposed to avoid social contact; excessively withdrawn or introverted.
1. (Medicine) chiefly
a. a person confined indoors by illness
b. (as modifier): a shut-in patient.
2. (Psychiatry) psychiatry a condition in which the person is highly withdrawn and unable to express his own feelings. See also schizoid
shut-in(adj. ˈʃʌtˈɪn; n. ˈʃʌtˌɪn)
1. confined to one's home, a hospital, etc., as from illness.
2. disposed to desire solitude; withdrawn; asocial.n.
3. a person confined by infirmity or disease to the house, a hospital, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shut-in - someone who is incapacitated by a chronic illness or injury|
homebound - people who are confined to their homes
|Adj.||1.||shut-in - somewhat introverted|
|2.||shut-in - confined usually by illness|
confined - not free to move about