Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to shutdown: turn off
A cessation of operations or activity, as at a factory. Also called closedown.
a. the closing of a factory, shop, etc
b. (as modifier): shutdown costs.
1. to cease or cause to cease operation
2. (tr) to close by lowering
3. (Physical Geography) (tr) (of fog) to descend and envelop
4. (intr; foll by on or upon) informal to put a stop to; clamp down on
5. (Nuclear Physics) (tr) to reduce the power level of (a nuclear reactor) to the lowest possible value
a suspension or stoppage of function or operation.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shutdown - termination of operations; "they regretted the closure of the day care center"|
plant closing - act of shutting down operation of a plant
bank closing - act of closing down a bank because of a fiscal emergency or failure
layoff - the act of laying off an employee or a work force
1. [of factory, shop, business] → cierre m
2. (Ftbl) (also winter shutdown) suspensión temporal de la actividad futbolística durante las semanas más inclementes del invierno