sib(redirected from Sibs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A blood relation; a relative.
b. A person's relatives considered as a group; kinfolk.
2. A brother or sister; a sibling.
3. Anthropology A kinship group consisting of two or more lineages considered as being related, as by common descent from a mythic ancestor.
Related by blood; kindred.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Genetics) a blood relative
2. a brother or sister; sibling
3. (Anthropology & Ethnology) kinsmen collectively; kindred
4. (Anthropology & Ethnology) any social unit that is bonded by kinship through one line of descent only
[Old English sibb; related to Old Norse sifjar relatives, Old High German sippa kinship, Latin suus one's own; see gossip]
(in Britain) abbreviation for
(Banking & Finance) (the former) Securities and Investments Board
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. related by blood; akin.n.
2. a relative; kinsman or kinswoman.
3. one's kin.
4. Anthrop. a unilateral descent group.
[before 900; Middle English sib(e), sibb(e), Old English sib(b) (orig. adj.), c. Old Frisian sib, Old High German sippi related, Old Norse sifjar (pl.) relatives, Gothic sibja relationship; compare gossip]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sib - a person's brother or sister |
family unit, family - primary social group; parents and children; "he wanted to have a good job before starting a family"
half blood - one of siblings who have only one parent in common
relative, relation - a person related by blood or marriage; "police are searching for relatives of the deceased"; "he has distant relations back in New Jersey"
triplet - one of three offspring born at the same time from the same pregnancy
twin - either of two offspring born at the same time from the same pregnancy
|2.||sib - one related by blood or origin; especially on sharing an ancestor with another|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.