Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or concerned with the stars or constellations; stellar.
2. Measured or determined by means of the apparent daily motion of the stars: sidereal time.
[From Latin sīdereus, from sīdus, sīder-, constellation, star.]
1. (Astronomy) of, relating to, or involving the stars
2. (Astronomy) determined with reference to one or more stars: the sidereal day.
[C17: from Latin sīdereus, from sīdus a star, a constellation]
si•de•re•al(saɪˈdɪər i əl)
1. determined by or from the stars.
2. of or pertaining to the stars.
[1625–35; < Latin sīdere(us) <sīder-, s. of sīdus star, constellation + al1]
1. Relating to the stars or constellations.
2. Measured by means of the apparent daily motion of the stars: sidereal time.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||sidereal - of or relating to the stars or constellations; "sidereal bodies"; "the sidereal system"|
|2.||sidereal - (of divisions of time) determined by daily motion of the stars; "sidereal time"|
civil - (of divisions of time) legally recognized in ordinary affairs of life; "the civil calendar"; "a civil day begins at mean midnight"