Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or concerned with the stars or constellations; stellar.
2. Measured or determined by means of the apparent daily motion of the stars: sidereal time.
[From Latin sīdereus, from sīdus, sīder-, constellation, star.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Astronomy) of, relating to, or involving the stars
2. (Astronomy) determined with reference to one or more stars: the sidereal day.
[C17: from Latin sīdereus, from sīdus a star, a constellation]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
si•de•re•al(saɪˈdɪər i əl)
1. determined by or from the stars.
2. of or pertaining to the stars.
[1625–35; < Latin sīdere(us) <sīder-, s. of sīdus star, constellation + al1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Relating to the stars or constellations.
2. Measured by means of the apparent daily motion of the stars: sidereal time.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||sidereal - of or relating to the stars or constellations; "sidereal bodies"; "the sidereal system"|
|2.||sidereal - (of divisions of time) determined by daily motion of the stars; "sidereal time"|
civil - (of divisions of time) legally recognized in ordinary affairs of life; "the civil calendar"; "a civil day begins at mean midnight"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
sidereal[saɪˈdiːrɪəl] ADJ → sidéreo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj (spec) → siderisch
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007