Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to siderite: pyrite
1. An ore of iron, FeCO3.
2. A meteorite consisting mainly of iron and nickel.
sid′er·it′ic (-ə-rĭt′ĭk) adj.
1. (Minerals) Also called: chalybite a pale yellow to brownish-black mineral consisting chiefly of iron carbonate in hexagonal crystalline form. It occurs mainly in ore veins and sedimentary rocks and is an important source of iron. Formula: FeCO3
2. (Astronomy) a meteorite consisting principally of metallic iron
1. a brown or yellow mineral, iron carbonate, FeCO3.
2. a meteorite consisting almost entirely of iron.
[1845–50; < Greek sídēr(os) iron + -ite1]
sid`er•it′ic (-ˈrɪt ɪk) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||siderite - iron ore in the form of ferrous carbonate|
iron ore - an ore from which iron can be extracted
|2.||siderite - a meteorite consisting principally of nickel and iron|
meteorite - stony or metallic object that is the remains of a meteoroid that has reached the earth's surface